“Rashtriya Khel Diwas” is another name for National Sports Day. It is organized on August 29 annually. On this day, we give honour to Legend Major Dhyan Chand on the occasion of his birth anniversary. He was born on August 29, 1905, in Allahabad. He was a champion in hockey. He was also known as “Hockey Wizard” or “Hockey ka Jadugar”. He made India proud with his performance every time he played. He had played hockey in 3 consecutive Olympics matches i.e, 1928, 1932, and 1936 in which India won 3 gold medals. During the Berlin Olympics, 1936 Indian Federation made him the captain of the Indian Hockey Team. In his career span of 22 years, he had made more than 400 goals in 185 hockey matches. He was also honoured with the Padma Bhushan Award in 1956 for his lifetime achievements. In December 1979, he left this world.
What is the Importance of National Sports Day?
In the year 2012, National Sports Day was celebrated for the 1st time. On this day, we embrace the athletes for their outstanding performance during the whole year. We enlighten the population of India about the importance of sports and games in their daily life. Sports help us to stay physically and mentally fit. Sports help us to increase the oxygen intake in our body, increase cardiovascular activity, improve bone strength and help in better coordination. It helps us to stay active and boost the stamina of the body.
How do we Celebrate National Sports Day?
It is celebrated in Rashtrapati Bhawan, New Delhi. On National Sports Day, an award ceremony is organized to praise the sportsmen and athletes for their glorious performance in various sports fields The President of India presents the awards to the athletes who participated in many National and International tournaments and heightened the worth of the Indian flag in the whole world. The athletes get honour with various national awards such as Dronacharya Award, Major Dhyan Chand Khel Ratna Award, Dhyan Chand Award, and Arjuna Award. We celebrate this day on a national level. Athletes from various states and Union Territories get highly involved on this day. Various organizations such as schools, colleges organize sports activities like kabaddi and football to promote sportsmen spirit.
Information about Prestigious Indian Sports Awards
- MAJOR DHYAN CHAND KHEL RATNA AWARD: This reward was previously called the “Rajiv Gandhi Khel Ratna Award”. This award is represented to the athletes for their “Best achievements in the tournaments”. This award is the most prominent award given to a sportsman for their achievements. This award was established in 1991-92 and it includes a trophy, a certificate and a cash prize of Rs. 25 Lakhs.
- DHYAN CHAND AWARD: This award is the greatest award received by an athlete for his “Lifetime achievement”. This award is considered to be the top-most award. This award was founded in the year 2002. A Dhyan Chand trophy, a certificate, a cash prize of Rs. 10 Lakhs and a ceremonial robe is included in this award.
- ARJUNA AWARD: This award was established In 1961. This award includes a bronze statue of Arjuna, a ceremonial dress, a certificate and a cash prize of Rs. 15 Lakh. This award is given to the players for their “Excellent performance in sports for the previous 4 years”.
- DRONACHARYA AWARD: This award has been given to the trainers for “Training athletes for the international and national tournaments”. This award was established in 1985 and includes a bronze statue of Dronacharya, a certificate, a ceremonial robe and a cash prize of Rs. 15 Lakh.
- RASHTRIYA KHEL PRAHOTSANA AWARD: This award is given to any private or public corporation or an individual who is playing a “Role of encouraging and developing sports” for the past 3 years. It was founded in 2009.
Sports help us to stay physically and mentally fit. On National Sports Day, we pay homage to Major Dhyan Chand and aware people regarding sports and their health. We pay respect and honour to athletes for their performances and wish them good luck for their future games. On account of National Sports Day, we wish that everyone will go outside their houses and start doing physical activities and keep themselves healthy, active and fit.